HARRISBURG – Today, members of the Pennsylvania Senate Health and Human Services and Senate Local Government Committees held a joint hearing on the Wolf Administration’s plan to reopen Pennsylvania. This hearing allowed lawmakers to ask questions and raise concerns to members of the Wolf Administration, local government leaders, and medical experts about the governor’s plans to open the state region-by-region over the next several weeks.
During this hearing, Senator Bob Mensch (R-24) raised concerns that many of the constituents and businesses located in the 24th Senate District have been contacting his office about. When asking about industries that have not been allowed to open in Pennsylvania, Senator Mensch stated that 49 other states have allowed for real estate to open, with Pennsylvania being the lone state of 50 that has not.
“What is the difference between someone being allowed to mow a lawn and someone who would be operating a bulldozer in the middle of a field, but cannot operate,” Senator Mensch asked. “This is why our citizens are confused, this is why they are angry, this is why they are asking us – the legislature for clarity on these issues.” The senator went on to address concerns about the skewed data that is being released regarding the number of cases and deaths across the Commonwealth.
Those who participated and testified in the hearing include:
- Rachel Levine, Secretary, Department of Health.
- David Padfield, Director, Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency.
- Dennis Davin, Secretary, Department of Community and Economic Development.
- Lisa Schaefer, Executive Director, County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania.
- Matt McConnell, Commissioner, Mercer County.
- Rob Shipp, Vice President, Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania.
- Michael Ripchinski, Chief Clinical Officer, Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health.
- Scott Jeffers, Vice President, Enterprise Operations, Quest Diagnostics.
- David Reiner, Senior Director, State Government Affairs, Quest Diagnostics.
For a full video of the joint hearing, visit: https://pasen.wistia.com/medias/y57j6kt54r
For more information on Senator Mensch’s legislation, visit www.senatormensch.com. State updates can also be found on Senator Mensch’s Facebook at facebook.com/PASenatorBobMensch/ or Twitter @SenatorMensch.
CONTACT: Madison Scarfaro firstname.lastname@example.org (215) 541-2388