Proof of Identity

You will need to provide ONE document proving your identity and your lawful status in the United States when applying for a REAL ID.

All documents MUST be original versions or certified copies (if applicable) — no photocopies will be accepted.

If you are a U.S. citizen, acceptable documents include: 

Please note: souvenir or hospital certificates will not be accepted — it must be an original or certified copy filed with a U.S. state or territory office of vital statistics or equivalent agency in your state of birth

  • A valid United States passport or passport card. Please note: If you are using a passport as your proof of identity and your passport reflects your current name, YOU DO NOT NEED TO SHOW PROOF OF NAME CHANGE.
  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (USCIS Form N-560) or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DOS Form FS-240)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS Form N-550 or N-570)

If you are a lawfully present non-U.S. citizen, acceptable documents include:

  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (EAD) issued by DHS; Forms I-766 or Form 1-688B
  • Valid, Unexpired Permanent Resident Card I-551 Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) Issued by DHS or INS
  • Unexpired foreign passport with an unexpired U.S. visa affixed, and an I-94 indicating temporary evidence of permanent residence

Additional information for non-U.S. citizens can be found here.